Sunday, July 17, 2016

Making Room in the Freezer

The freezer is filling up. I estimate we've got 40# of blueberries, 76# of blackberries, and the elderberries are just starting to ripen up. Presently we're still bagging 1.5-2# per day from the backyard.

Part of this mornings blackberry haul
So to make room in the freezer I had to remove some leftover persimmons. I have never made a drinkable persimmon wine. But having had some luck with bananas in second run wines, and not having tried bananas in persimmon wine, I decided to give it a try. This will be a 2 gal batch.

10# persimmons
24oz white grape concentrate
All of the leftover frozen overripe bananas I can dig out of the freezer (only four)
Sugar: ~4#, aim for OG 1.085
GoFerm
Fermaid K
Tannin: 1/2t
Pectic enzyme: 8t divided
50/50 mix of citric and tartaric acid to pH of 3.5 preferment
1/2 cup oak chips 
3 gal water
Optiwhite
Bentonite on day 3

The fruit is thawed, hit with Kmeta, bagged, and then heavily dosed with pectic overnite. Using K1-V1116. Smells like bananas. Stay tuned.

I'm calling this caramel colored.

3 comments:

  1. I can't wait to see how this one turns out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I don't have high hopes. My persimmon wine history is a stinky trash heap.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete