Saturday, July 18, 2015

Recipes are just guidelines

Last weekend I finally did muster enough energy to start the lemongrass mint wine.  Last time, the mint overpowered the wine and it took years to settle down and become really drinkable.  So this time I cut back the mint to 2.5 quarts.  I used 600g of lemongrass, just the good, soft white part.  I used 3tsp of citric and 3tsp of tartaric acid, which was well under the acid adjustments last time.



But this time I used a different white grape concentrate base.  Perfect OG of 1.084, but unfortunately, the pH as I started to pitch the yeast was 2.45.  Grrr...

I briefly considered pitching it out, but changed my mind and decided to make some additional adjustments with calcium carbonate.  I brought it up to 3.24.  It fermented steadily throughout the week and today I moved it to the secondary at 1.014.  pH was 3.12.  This is not the best way to do it.


No comments:

Post a Comment