Saturday, July 18, 2015

U-pickin'

The greenhouse is 10 years old now and the one time the fan went out previously happened to be on a Saturday while I was in the backyard.  It took some time but I found a replacement motor and had the thing repaired by the end of the day.
Yesterday, while I was picking berries, the fan stopped again.  On the down side I had patients scheduled all morning.  So I rigged up some box fans, after a short struggle opened the ridge vent, and went on to work. After a trip with the fan to Mexico, where it ran just fine for the electrical motor folks at S and S, we're down to an electrical problem.  I have a call in to the electrician, he has yet to call me back.  Between that and the wireless at the office, it was a lousy day.
So as a pick-me-up, we decided to go U-picking. Danamay Farm is a new berry farm only about 3 miles from our house and they have great fruit.  Their blackberries are not as sunburned as mine.  Came home with about 20# of blackberries and 5# of blueberries.  We'll eat a few of these but we'll end up drinking most of them.



3 comments:

  1. What an enormous number of blackberries! They are about a month and a half earlier than we get them here in northern England. Blackberry wine is my favourite, and so easy to make. I'm now looking forward to early September when I can go brambling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by, Ben. And congratulations on the new house! It will soon be in order.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It rather depends on one's definition of 'soon'. My guess is that work will start some time in mid-late August, and thereafter it is anyone's guess when it will be finished. But the good news is that it has blackcurrants, raspberries and strawberries in its garden, together with a couple of plum trees, a pear tree and an apple tree - so wine making opportunities galore. And today I start my rose petal wine.

    ReplyDelete