Sunday, August 9, 2015

Lining them up

Friday I went back for what likely will be the last of my elderberry runs this year.  It was brutal. Weeds 6' high, flies, horseflies, and of course I forgot my pruners, making getting through the wild blackberries a challenge.  Final pickin' totals:

  • Blueberry 3.5#
  • Blackberry 42#
  • Elderberry 22.5#

The birds are finally leaving the elderberries in the yard alone long enough for them to truly ripen.  I may get another pound from the yard.  So the plan is as follows:

  • Elderberry 16# (3 gal)
  • Blackberry/Elderberry blend 10#/6# (3 gal)
  • Blackberry 16# (3 gal)
  • Blackberry/Elderberry Rosé with skins/seeds from first 3 batches (3 gal)
  • Blueberry/Blackberry 3.5#/3# + whatever elderberries I can yet get from the yard (1 gal)
  • Blackberry 13# pure juice no water (1 gal)
I need to get some bottling done, as right now I have no open 3 gal carboys.  But the remaining 2014 elderberry wine, when racked this past week, is looking and tasting very nice.

One of the remaining 3 gal elderberry batches I still need to bottle.

This doesn't look like exercise equipment.


But this pressure washer extension has me sore on this Sunday.  We used it Saturday to get the mud daubers off of the ceiling of the lanai.  You don't really control it, you just sort of restrain it.  It reminds me of a slosh pipe.  This is a home maintenance tool I suppose I'll use for 30 minutes every 2-3 years but which has no substitute.  We're not considering a move, but I will be very happy to leave this monster with the lucky buyers of our home whenever that time comes.

Allie is getting settled in her new apartment.  We delivered the green Valium loveseat, so-named because it is so comfortable lying on it is like taking Valium. This required removal of the back door from its hinges.  We took the opportunity to stop by Lucky's and get some rosemary and garlic steak kabobs.  I cooked these perfectly but they were badly overseasoned.  Thanks, Lucky.  The 2013 blackberry mead was therefore a nice surprise.  I admit to have cheated a little bit on this one, but Lisa doesn't care.


No comments:

Post a Comment