Sunday, September 18, 2016

Blue Apron and Some Homemade Wine

Is this cheating?

We received our first shipment of Blue Apron last week. We signed up for the two person plan, with which you get three different meals. Our first dish was cheesy grits and shrimp. My only complaint was that we needed a second green onion. Tasty!


The second dish was a corn, tomato, ricotta pasta dish which I thought was decent, not excellent.  The third was Asian chicken with bok choy and a cucumber-ginger salad, my favorite of the week.

We supplemented with a little tomato salad
Each of these meals has about 15 minutes of prep work and 15-20 minutes of cooking time. The portions are almost perfect for us, but we could use slightly less in the way of carbohydrates. I like the fact that we end up with meals and ingredients we otherwise wouldn't try.

Is it cheating? Not in terms of cooking. It is cheating in terms of shopping, and I'm fine with that.

We had two very nice homemade wines this past week. The 2014 elderberry blush continues to taste like the best wine I've ever made. I have about 3 bottles left and when it is gone, there will be sadness. We also tried the lychee wine. The first pour is not impressive, but after some time it opens up, and it turns out to be a very nice wine. Thankfully I have plenty left; for some reason we didn't drink much this summer. Hopefully it ages well and the supply lasts until next summer. 


No comments:

Post a Comment