Saturday, October 7, 2017

2017 Wines - Chapter 3 - Pawpaw


We ended up with about 9# of pawpaws, so I decided to go ahead and try making the wine.

They look like potatoes

  • 5# pawpaws, consisting of 2# pulp and 3# peeled fruit
  • Sugar, 2# 1oz
  • Tannin 1/2t
  • Pectic 1t
  • Lallzyme EX 0.1g
  • Citric acid 2.75t
  • Water 8.5 pint
  • Opti White 1.9g
  • Booster Blanc 1.1g
  • Bentonite 2g

The pH started at 4.51 but adjusted to 3.54. SG 1.085. I used QA 23 and started off in a cooling bath, but when the fermentation didn't really take off, I let it come up to room temperature.


I added bentonite day 3 and then pulled the fruit bag at 1.032 on day 7. Racked to carboy on day 9.


As you can see, this wine is a pulpy mess. A few days later when the wine was quiet, I racked off the pulp, coming up about 100ml shy of a gallon.


At this point I topped it with some Vignoles and dosed with KMS. The pawpaw smell (closest perhaps to bananas) is gone, and at this time the aroma is closer to pineapple than anything else. We can count it as a success so far, having avoided any stink during the ferment. 

No comments:

Post a Comment