Saturday, December 2, 2017

2017 Wines - Chapter 7 - Blueberry Rosé

I started this wine without having recently tasted last year's version. The last time we tried it I found the last glass much better than the first. After starting this year's version however we opened another bottle from 2016 and I found it fairly offensive. It aired out and seemed to blow off whatever icky aroma it had upon opening, but my expectations for this wine going forward have been tempered.

I pressed 26# of blueberries, added KMS, then added to that juice the free run from the straight blueberry wine.


I added 46oz Sauvignon Blanc concentrate, 1.2g water, 1 can of Niagra white grape concentrate to make up a little volume. Starting pH 2.86, adjusted to 3.33 with 6t calcium carbonate. Starting SG 1.070, adjusted to 1.085 with 460g sugar. Then added 2g Booster Blanc, 6g Opti White, 1.5t tannin, 3t pectic, 0.3g Lallzyme EX, and let it sit overnight.

The next morning the pH was 3.56, a little higher than I wanted but I'd rather be adding acid back to this wine then trying to deacidify it like I did last year. Pitched QA 23 with the usual GoFerm and Fermaid K nutrient protocol, and 4.5g bentonite on day 3.


Not the most pleasing color at this point. but after 7 days we got to 1.010 without incident, and so I racked to a 3 gallon carboy.



The fermentation didn't really stall at all with racking and looks to be finishing strong under glass. The one seasonal wine remaining to make is elderberry.

No comments:

Post a Comment