Sunday, January 28, 2018

2017 Wines - Chapter 9 - Guava

I have a love-hate relationship with this fruit when it comes to wine. The first batch of wine I ever made was guava and purely by accident it was delightful. Then a couple of years ago I made a strawberry guava wine which I cold-soaked. Though the color is nice, too much time on the seeds left it bitter. I've been saving guava for a couple of years now, ready to try again. I'm pretentiously calling this one Psidium Sauvignon. Ingredients:
  • 18.5# guava, mostly strawberry, some lemon and purple
  • 46oz Sauvignon Blanc concentrate
  • 1720g sugar
  • 8.5 quarts water
  • 6t pectic enzyme
  • 0.5g Lallzyme EX
  • 1t Fermaid K step fed
  • 1t GoFerm
  • 10g citric acid
  • 10g tartaric acid
  • 5g bentonite in primary
  • 6g Opti White
  • 3g Booster Blanc


I simmered the guava and assembled the wine. This was my first chance to use the new temperature control system. QA 23 was the yeast, and the lower limit was 15C/59F so I set it there and off she went.



The temp was very steady around 15C/59F. It oscillated a little bit but I tweaked some setting and by the end it was very stable. It didn't slow the ferment very much however and it still ripped through in about 7 days.





No comments:

Post a Comment