Saturday, June 30, 2018

2018 Wines - Chapter 1 - Elderflower

I thought making some elderflower wine would put a dent in the final berry total, but not so much. I'm keeping expectations very low for this wine to improve the odds of a pleasant surprise.

  • 3 pints elderflowers, cleaned with the Luc Volder method 
  • 4 quarts sorbate free white grape juice
  • 3 lemons, juice and zest
  • 2360g sugar
  • 1/2t tannin
  • 2g water


Starting pH 3.06, SG 1.087. Used K1-V1116, step fed Fermaid K, and held it at 66F to about 1.046 when I bumped it to 70F to help it finish. At 1.030 it went to carboy to finish up. It was a slower ferment, going from 1.087 to 1.030 in 10 days, then several more days to finish up.


Today I racked and dosed with KMS. I didn't measure the SG but by taste it is dry. Honestly, as with my first batch of elderflower, I don't get that much elderflower aroma. 

No comments:

Post a Comment