Sunday, November 11, 2018

2018 Wines - Chapter 6 - Sauvignon Blanc

The Sauvignon Blanc had to sit at the brew shop with the California grapes for a few days until I had time to drive over on a Saturday. Using the two $20 gift certificates won at the Kansas City Cellarmasters Wine Classic last year, I picked up a nice 10 gallon fermenter and some odds and ends. The SB came in at pH 2.97 and SG 1.088. I added the usual: 1T pectic, 12g Opti White, 0.7g Lallzyme EX (probably not needed), and inoculated with 5g of QA 23. It got 9g bentonite day 3 and step fed with Fermaid K. I fermented it in the chiller at 57F. Around day 5, at 1.040, I wondered about an off odor so I added a bit of Fermaid O. The next day it was clearly smelling a little reductive. I hit it with KMS at 1.020 and vigorously racked it off to carboy. A couple of days later the SG was 0.998 and the off odor was gone. This wine might have become formulaic. May try grapes next year.


No comments:

Post a Comment