Sunday, September 8, 2019

2019 Wines - Chapter 3 - Frontenac Gris

Somebody screwed up. One of my Frontenac vines is clearly different, and the wine forum has identified it as Frontenac Gris.

Frontenac Gris, with regular Frontenac in the background
With plenty of grapes on the vine, why not? We got around 15# of grapes, enough for a few bottles. Frontenac is growing well, so maybe Frontenac Gris is the answer to my white wine problems.

Picked August 24, pH 2.86, SG 1.090, TA 14, just like the regular variety. KMS 50ppm, then 24 hour cold settling.  The following day, 16g calcium carbonate to 3.26; also added 1t pectic, 2g Booster Blanc, 3g Opti White, 1/2t tannin. I rehydrated QA23 (my go-to white wine yeast) and it took right off. I step fed as usual, added 2g bentonite on day 3, and by Sept 1 it was down to 1.000. I racked to a 1 gallon carboy plus a 500ml bottle, redosed with KMS, and let it settle in.



Promising wine. We think we remember which vine it was, so this winter we'll take some hardwood cuttings and see if we can't make another 10 vines in case this wine turns out to be a favorite.

No comments:

Post a Comment