Sunday, September 20, 2020

2020 Wines - Chapter 4 - Frontenac

 As with Foch, the Frontenac yield was low this year. We pulled in 87#, less than half of last year. It's another high TA, high pH wine. Crush and destemming yielded 8.8g of must, with TA crazy high at 22, pH 2.80. Double salt technique with 175g calcium carbonate brought pH up over 4.0, not ideal for fermentation. I added back tartaric to get pH to fermentation-compatible 3.38, but will admit that I'm somewhat out of my league with these numbers. As for sugar, 1.084 came to 1.090 with minimal 350g sugar. Used Opti Red and Booster Rouge but as with Foch, no enzymes

Pitched yeast 8/16, VP41 co-innoculated 8/17. Pressed off 8/22 to get 6.5g. To it, I added Enartis Tan Uva, 7.6g. This is much higher (triple) than the recommended dose, yet lower than the recommended dose of the unfortunately similarly named Uva Tan from Scott Labs. I just decided to split the difference and see what happens. 



No comments:

Post a Comment