Tuesday, January 3, 2017

2016 Wines - Chapter 11 - EB

Saying "Elderberry Blackberry" is awkward. I just call this wine "EB." I just today sent the 2015 EB to the Kansas City Cellarmasters 18th Annual Wine Classic. I like the 2015 version a lot, but now I've probably just jinxed myself out of a medal.

So it was time to make the 2016 EB. This time I changed the ratio from 40:60 to 30:70 and bumped up the fruit quite a bit, 12# of elderberries and 28# of blackberries.


The elderberries were simmered to reduce the green goo, and a few bananas added for body.


These were added to the blackberries...


...and everything was thawed, treated with Kmeta, and gently crushed. To this I added 1 cup heavy toast American oak chips, 6# sugar, Opti Red, pectic enzyme, and Lallzyme EX. The inital pH was 3.30, and I'm aiming for a smoother lighter red here, so I added 6 tsp of calcium carbonate. The SG was perfect at 1.090. Then it got a 3 day cold soak for the pectic and Lallzyme to do their thing.  

I used K1-V1116 on this wine, but now I'm regretting not using 71B. The ferment was extremely fast; it hit 27.4C and after only about 4 days was down to 1.008, so I pressed.


From 5.75 gal of must I ended up with 4 gal of free run and 1 gal of pressed wine. There is a lot of sediment however, and I expect to lose another gallon with the first racking in another week or so. 



No comments:

Post a Comment