Friday, January 6, 2017

Fig Wine and Kansas City Cellarmasters

It is unlikely that my first fig wine will be entered in any wine competitions. But earlier this week I entered 6 bottles in the Kansas City Cellarmasters 2017 Wine Classic. From 2015, I submitted my blackberry, EB, lychee, lemongrass mint, and elderberry blush; from 2014, I sent the elderberry. Fingers officially crossed. 

Several months ago, Barb informed me that she had more figs than she could use. She kindly vacuum packed them and shipped them from Texas frozen. She has a white variety. I combined them with a small number of Chicago Hardy I grew in the greenhouse for a total of 6.5# of fruit.


The fruit was minced in the food processor.


I combined with 7.5 pints water, 0.2g Lallzyme EX, 1.3g Booster Blanc, 2g Opti White, 1/2t tannin, and 1kg sugar.


The pH was 6.06, adjusted to 3.64 with 1.5t tartaric and 0.5t citric acids. SG was 1.088. I used K1-V1116, my go-to yeast. I used some old energizer and nutrient because on the day I pitched the yeast I was feeling lazy. I fermented to dry in only about 5 days. I strained the fruit out, hit it with Kmeta, and moved it to carboys at 1.000. It is still fermenting, and I'll let it go another couple of days, then rack off of the gross lees and reduce the head space. 


I can tell already, this won't be a stellar wine. It's all about managing expectations.

No comments:

Post a Comment