Saturday, October 8, 2016

2016 Wines - Chapter 6 - Pinot Grigio

I bought two things from St. Louis Wine and Beermaking, Syrah grapes and a juice pail of Pinot Grigio.

I hope the wine is as awesome as the label on the bucket
This wine started with some crazy numbers. I rechecked twice, and repeatedly got pH 3.01, SG 1.088, TA 0.4%. I didn't tweak the juice, but added K-meta, OptiWhite, and some pectic, then pitched QA 23. My plan was to ferment this as cool as possible, under 20C. However, I pushed the temp down before the yeast really got rolling. So two days later it was still puttering along around 1.078. I let it come up to 23C to get the yeast going, then put it back in the ice pack bath, keeping it down around 21-22C. With that help it steadily dropped to 1.006 on day 8, when it got racked to a 6.5 gallon carboy.


I don't know yet if I'm a fan of juice pails. There was relatively little interaction with this wine - it was a little too easy.

No comments:

Post a Comment