Sunday, February 13, 2022

2021 Wines - Chapter 2 - Frontenac

My Frontenac wines, with the exception of the Frontenac Gris, to date have been disappointing. Maybe persistence will pay off. I double netted the back row of the vineyard and still lost practically all of the Foch. But the benefit was that Foch and Frontenac sat on the vines much longer than in years past. I picked around the first of September (failed to note the date) in order to make a Frontenac that is also 8% Foch. I pitched a Renaissance yeast, Avante, on 9/4. No adjustments were made to the must at 1.102, 3.05. Booster Rouge, Opti Red, coinnoculation with VP41, and by 9/9/it was down to 1.000 and I pressed 6 gallons. On 9/12 I racked and added Uva Tan 1.5g/gal to see if we can make this wine color-fast. It's now aging and I'm considering skipping the barrels and only lightly oaking with some cubes. The wine has the usual Frontenac cherry flavor which I'm not wild about but maybe we can make a go of it this year. 

No comments:

Post a Comment