Sunday, February 13, 2022

2021 Wines - Chapter 4 - Vidal

Last year's 2020 Vidal is not bad, but not notable. So I "spiked" it with some 2019 Vidal that was over-tweaked with citrus and I also added a hint of passion fruit. I have the feeling that none of that would be necessary if I let it hang longer, But Vidal for me is troublesome. They occupy two rows in the vineyard, but I get about 10 vines worth of grapes. I have to net the entire thing because the vines that are doing well are so spread out. I'd love it if I could let these hang to 1.100 and 3.00. Nope, not this year. 2021 Vidal was picked 9/11 at 1.080, TA 13, pH 2.62. I didn't record any acid adjustments but it's entirely possible, even likely, that I made some. Sugar was added to bump the SG to 1.090. Opti White/Booster Blanc/Allegra and room temperature ferment had us down to 1.000 by 9/22. 8 gallons, not counting the Vignoles coferment. I haven't made a really awesome Vidal wine yet, and given the pick numbers I have some doubts that 2021 will be exceptional. Maybe a blender with the Vignoles. 

No comments:

Post a Comment